Job searching can be overwhelming. One method that can really help overcome the stress and anxiety is breaking the process down into smaller actions or baby steps.
Step 1 - Get organized.
Before applying to any position, take a week and get your application packet pulled together.
This should include:
- A LinkedIn profile that is polished and on point.
- A cover letter template.
- Your portfolio of work.
- 2 Versions of your resume: 1 for humans and 1 for applicant tracking systems.
Once these things are collected and polished, you are ready to move to the next step.
Step 2 - Make a written plan.
"A goal without a plan is just a wish." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Science has shown that those who write out their plans are 42% more likely to follow through.
When making your plan:
- Identify what type of company you want to work for.
- Establish how much time you are able to spend on job search activities per week.
- Schedule specific blocks of time when you will focus on the job search.
- Determine how many quality applications you will submit per week.
- Revisit your plan each week and adjust as necessary for success.
Step 3 - Network.
- Go to industry events such as meet-ups or conferences and start talking with people. Get to know them not as a possible job lead, but as a human interested in the same industry. It’s amazing what you can learn from people at these events.
- Volunteer your skills.
- Reach out to people on LinkedIn.
- Be open and friendly everywhere you go. You never know who is next to you at the store or who just cut you off in the parking lot.
Step 4 - Keep going!
Don’t stop applying until you have a written offer in hand. Grit is key!
In review: get organized, make a written plan, network, keep your skills up to date, and keep going until you have an offer in hand. Persevere!